Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Today's big event was, of course, the inauguration of Barack Obama as our 44th President. I watched it live on CNN, along with my daughters, who don't really understand the historical significance of what they saw. One day they will, however, and I want them to be able to look back and say "I saw that happen". (I'll never forget watching the signing of the 1979 peace treaty between Israel and Egypt when I was only 10 years old. I'm so glad that our school wheeled an old black and white TV into the cafeteria so that we could see it.) The excitement in D.C. was amazing, and a record crowd showed up, despite the freezing temperatures. Obama seemed pretty nervous (he messed up the oath of office a bit), but he did a pretty good job with his speech, striking the right note of cautious optimism. Let's just hope that he is able to make good on all his promises.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. This morning I was only able to start watching at about half way through his speech. I only just now noticed that he is not wearing a coat. BRRRR!

Phyllis Sommer said...

my little ones certainly didn't understand but i took pictures of them watching so i can prove to them that they did it!

(i also took pictures of them on november 5th with the newspaper...which i think may become a regular birthdayish tradition since it was so cool.)

wasn't it a great day!?

rickismom said...

I thought that his speech was very good. I just wonder how many Americans will cheer him when they realize that "tough decisions" and the service motto means that you can't get the latest electronic gadget......
Some Americans are willing to tighten their belts; I fear not enough.

mother in israel said...

I think the Chief Justice made the mistake, not President Obama.

Anonymous said...

My coworker noted that she felt that Obama's speech wasn't very good or motivating. She felt that he focused too much on the negative. What do you think of her assessment?

Anonymous said...

I liked the speech too, especially the emphasis on values.
I'll never forget watching the signing of the 1979 peace treaty between Israel and Egypt when I was only 10 years old.
I remember that too, except I was slightly older.

SuperRaizy said...

Mrs. LFD-
I kept wondering if he was wearing thermal underwear underneath his suit.
Phyllis-
I think it WAS a great day. It's been a very long time since Americans have felt so good about their country. (Let's hope it lasts!)
rickis mom-
I don't think we have much choice. People are losing their jobs all over.
mother in israel-
Yes, I think you're right.
Frayda-
I think that it was smart to inject a dose of reality into the overly euphoric atmosphere.
ilanadavita-
"except I was slightly older"- shhh! A lady never tells ( :

Lion of Zion said...

"Let's just hope that he is able to make good on all his promises."

i'm hoping he doesn't get to make good on all his promises

SuperRaizy said...

LOZ-
Fair enough.