Friday, December 14, 2007

The Land of Canaan 90210

This story on the Haaretz website made me truly sick:
"Schools to spice up bible studies with teen TV series":
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/934468.html
The Israeli Education Ministry, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to make Bible studies more fun for secular students by creating television shows that are "based on" (but not actually about) stories from the Torah. These shows, which are shown in the classroom, are described by the article as being "Beverly Hills 90210-style drama".
Note: Joseph is described by the teacher as "strolling around in his multicolor coat" while his brothers "work their butts off in the field".
Click on the link to view the video. It has to be seen to be believed.

3 comments:

flatbush gal said...

Oh, that's awful. I don't even want to click on the link- what does it show?

Anonymous said...

ingantzen meshuga!

welcome to blogland.

Frum Librarian said...

Ok it's a little crazy, but it's not that far past storybooks my kids have about Avraham, Rivka, etc. as children. It makes Tanach into a story, which makes it more easily understood. I don't think it should be like 90210 (!) and obviously if they stop at the soap opera aspect without taking it any further, they are missing the point, but I get why they thought it would work. They are trying to make kids relate to it more. Whatever, I'm not saying I'm for it. Just that I get it.