Sunday, August 16, 2009

Torn Between Two Feelings

I am so very very happy to announce that my sweet lovely niece (whose wedding I wrote about here) has given birth to the world's most beautiful baby boy. He is the first great-grandchild to be born on both sides of the family, and we are all so excited and relieved and completely thrilled that he is here. I ran to the hospital to see him just hours after he was born.

Yesterday, while still on a emotional high, I discovered that a girl that I had gone to school with had passed away last year after suffering from cancer. I had always liked this girl, and although we had not been in touch after graduating, I did run into her about three years ago at the park. She had been so happy to see me, had proudly introduced me to her husband and children, and greeted my children with a big smile. My shock and sadness at hearing about her death was overwhelming. She was far too young to be taken from her family, and was such a truly good, kind person. The injustice of her death takes my breath away.

So here I am this morning, feeling both extremely happy and terribly sad. Yes, I know, God gives and God takes away. I am very grateful for what God has given our family, but I am very distressed at what he has taken away from another, equally deserving, family.

13 comments:

Gutsy Living said...

Great post--got me thinking. I came over from Jack's. What a mixture of emotions to go through in one day.

SuperRaizy said...

GutsyWriter-
Welcome!
I checked out your blog and wow, your story is really interesting! I admire how you created a whole new life for your family so far away.

Baila said...

The sweetness and bitterness of life all wrapped up in one package. Thank G-d for the blessings; without them we could never get through the tough times.

Mrs. S. said...

"I am very grateful for what God has given our family, but I am very distressed at what he has taken away from another, equally deserving, family."
Beautifully said.
May we all know only smachot and besurot tovot.

elie said...

As you know... it's very in line with what I went through yesterday :(

Staying Afloat said...

Oy...

Such a balancing act...

It's days like you describe that I feel terribly old but also young and stupid at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Learning about the death of people we know is never easy, all the less so if they are our age.

SuperRaizy said...

I appreciate your comments and the sentiments contained in them, but-

HEY! No one has wished me a mazal tov yet on the birth of my very first grand-nephew!

Staying Afloat said...

Mazal Tov on the birth of your very first grand-nephew!

I'm sure you'll be a GREAT- aunt.

SuperRaizy said...

Staying Afloat-
Thank you!

Eeees said...

Mazal tov!!!!
May your entire family have nachas from your great-nephew always! :)

BDE on your friend's petirah.
OOC, what was her name?

SuperRaizy said...

EeeeS-
Thank you.
I don't really feel comfortable saying her name, because you never know if her family would feel that it's an invasion of their privacy.

Eees said...

S'ok. Just wondering if it was someone I knew.
May her family and all other mourners know from no more sorrow.